Work on a team to facilitate the running of The Shed, a maker space exhibit geared towards children in second grade and above. Interact with children, their families, and school groups as they learn by doing. Engage groups with fun, hands-on STEAM activities and support the daily operation of this makerspace.
Support guests as they learn through tinkering. Responsibilities include facilitating DIY activities with an emphasis on creativity and experimentation, as well as maintaining activity materials and the program space. Applicants should have basic tool skills and willingness to enthusiastically embrace a wide spectrum of making, from woodworking to papercraft to sewing. Prior experience in customer service and interaction with school-age children is highly desired.
- Experience working with young children in a group setting
- Friendly, pleasant demeanor; at ease with people of all ages
- Experience and/or interest in at least one of the following areas: woodworking with hand or power tools, electronics and soldering, hand or machine sewing, making molds and casting various materials. If you have some other handy skill, please let us know!
- Ability to stand for periods of time up to one hour
- Ability to work with children at their eye level (i.e. ability to get onto floor and get up again)
- Ability to lift up to fifty pounds
Provided by The Shed staff
Two 4-hour shifts per month