The Maryland Science Center is proud to be the home to the St. John Properties IMAX Theater. This five-story, 38 surround-sound speaker theater plays a variety of IMAX films. Volunteers are needed to ensure guests have the best IMAX experience possible.
Duties as an Usher:
- Collect tickets and assist guests as they enter and exit theater
- Assist seating large groups
- Clean and maintain the theater between films
- Help Maryland Science Center guests have the best visit possible.
Lobby ambassadors provide visitors with a warm welcome and are on hand to collect ticket stubs and answer questions. This is a great role for volunteers who are at ease interacting with the public and have excellent customer service skills.
Duties as a Lobby Ambassador:
- Welcome guests, hand out map guides, and provide general information
- Scan tickets as guests enter the science center and ensure guests are wearing the day’s colored wristband
- Act as quasi-security for the front harbor lobby to ensure visitor safety and satisfaction
- Roam exhibit floors, answer questions, and ensure guests are having a safe and pleasant science center experience
- Refer complaints in a courteous manner to the manager of the day
- Excellent communication and customer service skills; at ease with people
- Ability to exhibit great patience with school-aged children and their adult chaperones
- Ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time
- Ability to use stairs both inside theater and in exhibits
- Comfortable working in low lighting (usher work)
Provided by Guest Services
4-hour shifts are available Wednesday-Sunday.
Two consistent 4-hour shifts per month, for a minimum of three months. A willingness to volunteer for additional hours is always welcome!
Please contact our Volunteer Coordinator, by phone 410-779-1627 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out if the position you’re interested in is accepting volunteers at this time.
To apply for a volunteer position, please download and fill out the adult volunteer application and return by email to email@example.com.