Science Engagement Catalysts embody the “Let’s science” attitude of the Maryland Science Center and set in motion guests’ experiences with science. From physics experiments, to chemistry activities, to engineering challenges, Science Engagement Catalysts are responsible for bringing science and people together.
- Attract, excite, and encourage guests to participate in scientific experiences
- Facilitate short, hands-on/minds-on activities on a wide variety of STEM topics
- May also assist presenters with science shows, either by helping distribute materials within the audience, or performing part of a short demonstration (speaking not required)
- Be a resource for guests’ questions and provide good general guest service
- Comfortable and enthusiastic with many different STEM fields
- Friendly and conversant with guests of all ages and able to handle various sized groups
- Ability to communicate effectively and observe safety protocols
Ability to be on your feet for extended periods with some bending and kneeling
Training will be provided by the Education Department’s Public Programs staff. Some generalized training in facilitation and safety will provided initially. Training on specific activities and shows will happen on an ongoing basis thereafter.
Science Engagement Catalysts must commit to a regular shift on the same day and time of the week. Science Engagement Catalysts can be scheduled for one shift per week for a duration of at least three months, or one shift every other week for a duration of at least six months.
- 9:30 AM-2:00 PM Tuesday through Friday, year-round
- 11:45 AM-4:00 PM Saturday and Sunday, year-round
- 9:30AM-2:00PM Monday, spring and summer only
Two shifts per month.