Are you passionate about the environment? Do you love gardening and working outside? The Maryland Science Center is looking for help maintaining approximately 4,000 square feet of vegetated space on our roof. Our urban roof garden, comprised of native Maryland plant species, offers a safe haven for butterflies, bees, other insects, and the occasional mallard. Volunteers are needed from early spring (March/April) through mid-autumn (October). Required equipment and tools will be provided by the Maryland Science Center. Having your own gardening gloves helpful.
- Planting seeds, weeding, tending compost and rain barrels
- General garden maintenance
- Occasional special projects as they may arise
- General gardening and/or botany knowledge a plus, but not required
- Ability to follow instructions and safety guidelines
- Tasks may require kneeling, standing for extended periods, or light lifting
Provided by the Green Roof Steward prior to starting any projects or tasks.
This is an on-going, as needed position. Opportunities to volunteer will be presented in advance. Volunteering opportunities will occur between the hours of 9:00 AM and 6:00 PM. Groups of volunteers may also be considered for monthly volunteering sessions.