The Maryland Science Center is looking for an enthusiastic External Programs Manager to join our education team. Help us continue our mission of delivering quality, informal science education beyond our exhibit halls. Bring our signature style of science programs across the state by developing, managing and executing external programs such as Family Science and Traveling Science Programs.
- Provide oversight to daily operation of assigned education programs
- Supervise, evaluate, and empower full-time staff, part-time staff, and volunteers
- Contribute to the development and evaluation of programs
- Conduct programming
- Cultivate partnerships and market programs
- Develop and implement long term sustainability of programs
- Provide support for the education department
- Other duties as assigned
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Execute all administrative duties including planning, preparation and control of budget and managing annual calendar priorities. Interview and hire qualified staff and volunteer applicants; oversee training and scheduling; evaluate performance of all staff and volunteers. Control and maintain all supplies, equipment, materials and inventories. Order/purchase as needed.
- Engage staff in activities, provide ideas and support to further understanding and empower staff to own their own behavior.
- Develop program criteria; select program topics, titles, and descriptions; engage STEAM team in the development and writing of the programs and in the designing, creating and selecting of materials and equipment. Evaluate content accuracy and delivery methods of programs. Evaluate staff execution and participant response to programs.
- Deliver programs to school groups and/or teachers as needed. Manage overnight events to ensure the smooth operation of the event and building. May include serving as event supervisor overnight.
- Establish and maintain internal and external partnerships; market program to youth organizations, child care facilities, and schools; distribute agreements and materials for marketing the program.
- Work to create systems to sustain program beyond creation cycle for family science night.
- Engage visitors within the museum as needed on the exhibit floor, in home school programs, summer camp, and special educational events.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required with emphasis in science, education or social science preferred
- At least two years experience in an informal education setting, supervisory experience preferred
- Must have a valid Maryland Driver’s License and clean driving record
- Basic and general science principles with a capability to apply such knowledge to exciting, informal education programming
- Computer programs including Microsoft Office Suite and reservations software
- Audio/visual equipment
- Developmentally Appropriate practice for young children
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Classroom management
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Work cooperatively among departments
- Multitask and manage details
- Be flexible and adapt to constantly changing situations
- Be imaginative in the initiation of new projects/programs
- Work without direct supervision as necessary
- Contribute as an active member of a team of staff and volunteers
- Work occasional evening, weekend, and overnight hours
- Serve as a leader among part-time staff
- Create practical solutions to diverse challenges
- Lift and carry 50lbs.
All hired employees must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination
This employee normally may perform some of the work of a senior level position in the process of gaining knowledge and experience necessary for advancement and may also perform some of the work in a lower-rated position when required. Normal duties and responsibilities include assistance to other employees.
How to Apply
Or mail or deliver to:
Director of Education – Human Resources
Maryland Science Center
601 Light Street
Baltimore MD 21230
EOE/M/F/H/V. No phone calls please.