Functions, Duties and Responsibilities:
Supervise MSC visitor maker facility operation and related programs
- Manage all aspects of each program including communication within and between MSC departments to ensure efficient, effective integration with MSC operation and promotional efforts.
- Produce plans and budgets as needed.
Hire, schedule, and train staff
- Hire and train part time staff, prepare schedules and duty rotations, and train staff and volunteers to facilitate programs and activities.
- Produce and update training materials.
- Research and implement safety protocols and ensure adherence to protocols by all staff engaged in Shed activities and presentations.
Program research, development, and evaluation
- Implement new and changing activities and programs to ensure a rich, enjoyable, and engaging guest experience.
- Research and acquire resource materials for use by staff and general public.
- Develop Shed programing and contribute other Education Department efforts.
- Establishes and maintains uniform records of Shed programing and activities.
- Suggest improvements for existing presentations, materials, equipment, and scheduling.
- Collaborate with Education Department members and members of other departments to meet the goals of Maryland Science Center.
- Assist in the evaluative process of new prototypes, materials, and write-ups.
- Contribute to development, management, and procurement of grant related programs as appropriate.
Establish and maintain partnerships with appropriate agencies, groups, or individuals to support MSC maker initiatives
- Seek out and form productive relationships with local, regional, and national collaborators.
Manage the donation, purchase, and maintenance of program, supplies, equipment, and facility
- Maintain sufficient quantities of consumable supplies and equipment needed to safely operate and maintain the program spaces and activities delivered there.
Oversee recycling or re-use of program waste
- Conduct operation of MSC maker programs to minimize potential environmental impact and limit effect of waste stream on MSC operations.
Facilitate visitor engagement and experience at the Maryland Science Center
- Conduct programs.
- Greet, engage, and assist all visitors to MSC including those taking part in MSC maker programs.
- Observe, monitor, and implement safe, accessible practices.
- Apply universal design considerations in program planning and delivery.
Supervise and empower staff and volunteers
- Serve as coach and mentor to expand the capabilities of staff and volunteers to become thoughtful and effective in their approach to informal STEAM education.
Conduct routine evaluation of MSC maker facility operation, programs, and staff
- Set educational goals to describe the program outcomes.
- Work with staff, participants, and evaluators to monitor program outcomes and achievements, and gauge effectiveness and satisfaction.
- Maintain files and statistics as part of this effort.
Provide support to Education Department efforts
- Work with supervisors and staff within the Education Department to develop and implement new programs and grant related initiatives.
Perform other duties as assigned
- Associate’s degree or technical training in a STEM related field or Bachelor’s degree in education
- Two years sharing DIY skills or presenting programs in an informal setting
- Prior experience demonstrating capacity for supervision and program development
- Hobby or work experience to demonstrate facility with wood working, mechanical systems, model making, electronics, computer technology, robotics, or engineering design.
- Experience directing activities with groups of people, especially students, is desired.
- Basic science content and processes
- Industrial processes
- Use of hand and power tools
- Local aspects and expressions of the maker movement
- Hardware and software to incorporate appropriate technology into programs
- Project management
- Informal STEAM interpretation for wide audience
- Effective interpersonal communication
- Express and sustain broader vision for Maker programs at MSC
- Maintain positive outlook and inspire it in others
- Be comfortable and address a variety of audiences or individual participants
- Judge program elements against standards
- Provide leadership and take direction
- Must be able to pass background check
- All hired employees must provide proof of COVID vaccination
This employee normally may perform some of the work of a senior level position in the process of gaining knowledge and experience necessary for advancement and may also perform some of the work in a lower-rated position when required. Normal duties and responsibilities include assistance to other employees.
How to Apply
OR MAIL OR DELIVER TO:
Education – Human Resources
Maryland Science Center
601 Light Street
Baltimore MD 21230
EOE/M/F/H/V. No phone calls please.