Come in to the Maryland Science Center while school is out and celebrate the holidays with some seasonal science!
Help us make a miniature winter village out of cardboard. Grow this collaborative town with your creative additions, like buildings, infrastructure, inhabitants, and natural features.
It’s Decemb-Brrrrr and we are exploring our favorite science of the season. Stay cozy and warm inside the Kids Room while you enjoy icy, snowy, freezing fun! The Kids Room will have the below activities on rotation throughout the week. Check out the Kids Room door schedule during your visit to see what activities are planned for the day.
- Crystal Snowflakes – Make your own colorful, glistening snowflakes
- Frosted Fun – Experiment with ice and salt
- Frozen Superheroes –Rescue your favorite superheroes from frozen glaciers
- Icy Lights – Play light and shadows with colored ice
- Let It Snow – Enjoy the snow without the cold
- Snowflake Twister – Play a classic games of twister with a snowy, flaky twist
Floor activities on rotation all week:
- Baking Chemistry – compare and contrast the chemistry of baking soda and baking powder
- Gingerbread Genes – make a gingerbread person with unique traits from randomly selected genes
- No Hands Challenge – use silly tools to complete three holiday tasks
- Shrink Plastic Ornaments – explore the chemistry of polymers while making a shrunken ornament to take home
- Hot and Cold Chemistry – test out two reactions: one that releases heat energy and one that consumes heat energy
- PVC Xylophone – play a seasonal tune on an unexpected instrument
Special holiday week floor activities will be set up at the Let’s Science wall on Level 2 throughout the days.
All activities are subject to change or cancellation without notice.