Unearth the ancient world of the dinosaurs, challenge the principles of physics, get sun smart and learn new tips and techniques for teaching science in your classroom. The Maryland Science Center is filled with innovative new educational opportunities for educators and students. Explore activities and new insights into creative exhibit floor exploration for students. Workshops include stipends!
Each workshop will include:
- Demonstrations of activities for the classroom
- Illustrated talk from a scientist in the topic area
- Presentation of a Maryland Science Center program – in either the IMAX 3D Theater, Davis Planetarium or Science On a Sphere
- Morning snacks and lunch
- $100 stipend for each participating teacher
Registration will open one month before each workshop date.
Live From The Sun – FULL
This workshop is now full and no further registrations are being accepted. This workshop will repeat next school year.
Saturday, March 21, 2015
- Discover the latest news about our nearest star
- Hear from a member of the NASA team that operates an orbiting solar observatory
- See up-to-the-minute images of the Sun with sunspots, solar flares and prominences
- Find out how the Sun’s huge explosions can endanger the technologies we all rely upon
This workshop is made possible by a grant from NASA.
Arriving at Pluto with New Horizons
Saturday, April 25, 2015
- Get ready for the first close-up view of Pluto as the New Horizons spacecraft flies by Pluto this summer
- Learn about Pluto and the icy Kuiper Belt beyond
- Hear from NASA New Horizons mission personnel
- Includes a Science On a Sphere program about the Solar System
This workshop is made possible by The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory, manager of the New Horizons mission for NASA.