Kids Room Upkeep Assistant
Assist Kids Room staff with vital behind-the-scenes maintenance tasks. The Kids Room is the Maryland Science Center’s space dedicated solely to our youngest guests, and we need help maintaining and repairing our much-loved, and much-used, hands-on exhibits.
High-school volunteers and small groups of volunteers (5-10 people) are welcome, although group opportunities may not always coincide with when a group is available. Volunteers looking for a one-time only opportunity are also welcome. Youth volunteer and groups should contact the Maryland Science Center’s Volunteer Coordinator for further information.
- Projects include but are not limited to: bleaching and sanitizing loose parts of exhibits, cleaning and dusting exhibit components, maintaining fish and small animal tanks, painting and making light repairs
- Willingness to follow directions and adhere to safety guidelines
- Attention to detail
- Ability to use simple power tools (drill, hand sander, etc.) is desired, but not necessary
- Willing to get messy!
- Occasional light lifting
- Comfortable climbing ladders a plus
- Basic home repair knowledge is desired, but not necessary
Provided by Kids Room staff under the Early Learning Supervisor
Shifts are available Mondays between the hours of 9:00am and 4:00pm, during the months of September-March. Typical volunteer shifts are 4 hours.