(Not to be confused with Exhibit Fabricator or Exhibit Shop Assistant; those involve working in the exhibit shop to help create exhibits. The Exhibit Facilitator position involves being in existing exhibits.)
The Maryland Science Center’s Education Department is looking for enthusiastic, friendly volunteers to facilitate our hands-on exhibit spaces. This position is suited for individuals who possess an interest in STEM learning and/or informal science education and are at ease with people and enjoy interacting with them, especially families and school-aged children. Exhibit Facilitator volunteers are available on the museum floor to offer informal interpretation of various exhibits. Maryland Science Center exhibits cover a wide range of topics including astronomy, dinosaurs, physics, electricity, light, sound, earth sciences, the human body, and more!
Opportunities exist to volunteer at a higher educational level (see Science Educator, Level I or II), but our greatest need is with the Exhibit Facilitator, a person who is willing to simply be available on the museum floor to smile and talk to guests about pretty much all manner of things, Maryland Science Center-related and sometimes perhaps even Baltimore-related.
- Staff Maryland Science Center exhibit spaces
- Answer questions, explain exhibits, and offer guidance for guests (answers may also include directions to restrooms, the store, the cafe, and the security desk)
- Ensure guests are behaving and interacting in a safe manner
- Continue to read, research, and learn to further personal knowledge of exhibits
- Interest in STEM learning and/or informal, hands-on science learning
- Friendly, outgoing demeanor; at ease with people
- Ability to exhibit great patience working with school-aged children and their adult chaperones
Training is provided by Education Department Public Programs Supervisors and peers, and self-learning is encouraged so you can become very familiar with exhibits.
One four-hour shift at least once a month (Tuesday-Sunday) for a minimum of three months.