Green Prix Car Competition
Registration for this event is now full. Please sign up for our emails to stay up to date on the latest competitions at MSC.
Design, build and test your car in our Green Prix race! We provide the free car kit, instructions, tips, and race day – you take care of the rest. But there’s a catch – it’s a Green Prix – cars must be powered by an alternate energy source like solar, wind, electric, hydro, etc.
1. Participants must use the base, axles, and wheels provided by the Maryland Science Center.
2. Participants must power the car using an alternative energy source. This includes, but is not limited to: solar, wind, electric, or hydro power.
3. The car must be able to move the length of the race track, approximately 20 feet, without being touched.
4. Participants may help the car move along the track. For example, you may follow your wind powered car with a handheld fan, but you may not use your hands to physically roll the car.
5. To qualify for awards and prizes, all entries must be present at the Maryland Science Center by noon on race day.
Green Prix cars will be judged by a panel of Maryland Science Center judges. Awards and prizes will be given based on the following categories:
Best Use of Recycled Materials
Awarded to the car created using only materials found in the recycling bin.
Most Scientifically Inspired
Awarded to the car design inspired by a famous scientist, engineer, or inventor of the past.
The Maker Award
An award to honor the most creative, resourceful, and innovative DIY car.
The “Oops” Award
Sometimes in science, things don’t always work the way we plan. An award to honor the best accident, mistake, or any other “oops” that might come up.